At Oaklands, Forest School is an inspirational process, that offers all learners regular opportunities to achieve and develop confidence and self-esteem through hands-on learning experiences in a woodland or natural environment with trees.
Forest School is a specialised learning approach that sits within and complements the wider context of outdoor and woodland education.
The ethos is shared by thousands of trained practitioners across the UK and beyond. Its roots reach back to early years pioneers in outdoor learning and across the sea to Scandinavia.
At Forest School all participants are:
- equal, unique and valuable
- competent to explore & discover
- encouraged to experience appropriate risk and challenge
- entitled to choose, and to initiate and drive their own learning and development
- supported to experience regular success
- supported to develop positive relationships with themselves and other people
- encouraged to develop a strong, positive relationship with their natural world
This child-centred approach interweaves learning with the natural world through a programme of Forest School sessions. Each programme also shares a common set of principles, aimed at ensuring that all learners experience the cumulative and lasting benefits that quality Forest School offers.
Here is what some of our children say about Forest School…
“Forest School is incredible… it inspires you!”
“… it expands you mind…”
“it’s a happy place to be!”